Red Drink (Healthyping’s Energy Smoothie)
Updated: Aug 10, 2019
Ping’s Acupuncture and Herbs Center 08-08-2014
May this formula provide a basis for the development of other more customized healthy recipes.
Basic Ingredients: enough for 2 people
1.Tomato (ripe) 1 medium to large
2. Carrot 1
3. Beet 1 small to medium
4. Purple cabbage ½ cup
5. Grapes with seeds ½ cup
6. Chinese Dates 7-10
7. Goji-berries 1/8 cup
8. Apple with seeds
9. Lemon 1½-1 with skin and seeds
10. Olive oil 1 tablespoon
11. Ginger with the skin, the size of a quarter and the width of three quarters
Add 2-3 cups of water and blend well, it is now a veggie smoothie.
Taste: sweet & slightly sour, but very tasty.
Drink the smoothie on an empty stomach. Drink 10 oz in the morning, divide the remaining and then drink 1 hour before each meal throughout the day. It is not necessary to refrigerate the smoothie; however it will taste fresher if you do.
To avoid bloating or keep a healthy weight, the drink can be diluted with water and drink as a grazing food throughout the day. Diluting the drink makes digestion easier and blood sugar more stabilized.
Beneficial for health:
1.Good source of fibers, such as an apple contains both types of fiber (soluble and insoluble) needed to keep the digestive system healthy and functioning.
2.Detoxify the body,relieve constipation, control weight and boost energy.
3. Antioxidant and anticancer from the tomato, carrots, beets, purple cabbage and grapes.
4. Chinese dates and beets help reproduce blood cells.
5. Goji-berries nourish the kidney and liver; improve eye sight, help with sleep, lower blood pressure and cholesterol.
6. Grapes with seeds have OPC which is good for overall health.
7. Lemon is an alkaline fruit.
8. Olive oil has a high content of monounsaturated fatty acids and antioxidant substances. It helps keep the heart healthy, prevent colon cancer and promote vitamin A (from carrots) absorption.
9. Ginger Root helps relieve allergy, hives, sinusitis, asthma, chronic cough, stomach aches, nausea, joint pain and weight loss. Chinese medicine believes that most vegetables and fruit belong to the cold food group and ginger belongs to warm group. It can re-balance cool and heat in the body. Since ginger blends with the skin on, the root needs to be blanched in boiling water for a few seconds to sterilize it before using.
Drink 8 glasses (64 oz or 2.2 liter) of water every day to eliminate waste from the body.
You will get better results if you have a bowel movement 3 times a day. It will help clean the toxins from your body.
According to Dr. Tom Wu and Dr. Simon Yu's suggestion: It is best to use a powerful “3 horse power” blender (e.g. VitaMix) to leave out and free the natural phytochemicals locked in the fibers of fruits and vegetables. The juicing process won't work for this purpose. It may provide the vitamins, enzymes, and minerals. However, it wastes a majority of phytochemicals in the fibers, which have anti-aging and immune rejuvenating properties. Source: http://www.preventionandhealing.com/articles/raw-food-smoothie-immune-rejuvenation-diet.pdf
How to wash fruits and vegetables
1) Wash and rinse with cold tap water.
3) Blanch vegetables in boiling water for a few seconds and then rinse with cold water. It is very important step to get rid of more than 40%of oxalic acid from vegetables. If excess oxalic acid is ingested it could form abundant tiny oxalate crystals creating anti-nutrient and health hazard.
4) Now they are ready to use.
If you do not have a powerful blender (3 horse power), you may still use a regular one. To make the process work, you need to do the following:
1) Cut the fruits and vegetables into small pieces.
2) Add a small amount and blend a little at a time.
3) Add enough water to help the blending process.
For more information please call Dr. Lu at 661 513 9265 Ping’s Acupuncture / Bamboo Acupuncture.