Natto Drink (HealthyPing’s Protein Smoothie)
Updated: Sep 23
Ping’s Acupuncture and Herbs Center 08-08-2018
May this formula provide a basis for the development of other more customized healthy recipes.
Essential Ingredients: for two people
1. Natto 50 gram (1 package)
2. Yogurt 6 oz as liked
3. Sweet potatoes (Yam ) peeled 6 oz
4. Papaya & Pineapple Enzymes 2 tablets
Add 2 cups of water and blend well; the smoothie is now ready to drink.
Taste: lightly sweetened with banana & coffee flavor, which come from blended Natto.
It is necessary to refrigerate the smoothie for the fresh taste. Since the drink can become fermented by Natto and yogurt at room temperature, it turns sour quickly but is drinkable and not harmful.
Drink the smoothie on an empty stomach or 1 hour before a meal. To avoid bloating and keep a healthy weight, you can dilute it with water and drink it as grazing food throughout the day. Adding water into the drink makes digestion easier and blood sugar more stabilized.
Beneficial to the health:
1. Good source of proteins, fibers, and calcium.
2. Natto enzymes prevent blood clots and clean the artery walls.
3. Natto & yogurt offer probiotics to enhance the good bacteria in the gastro-intestines.
4. Sweet potatoes are good carbohydrates, fiber, micronutrients, vitamins A, C, and riboflavin. They also contain the polyphenol anti-oxidants caffeic acid and di-/tri-caffeoylquinic acids that may have cancer-fighting properties. Researchers showed that sweet potatoes decreased cancer risk in the breast, lungs, liver, kidney, and gallbladder. They also help prevent leukemia (Source: www.livestrong.com).
5. Papaya & Pineapple Enzymes help digest high protein foods, reduce bloating, subside inflammations and stop joint pain.
Natto is a traditional Japanese food made from soybeans fermented with Bacillus subtilis. It is popular, especially as a breakfast food. As a rich source of protein and probiotics, Natto and the soybean paste Miso formed a vital source of nutrition in feudal Japan (source: Wikipedia). Natto is an excellent source of protein, vitamin B2, and vitamin K2. Vitamin K2 is useful for preventing osteoporosis. It contains compounds including phytoestrogen, selenium, and others that may help prevent cancer. It also includes a powerful beneficial enzyme called Nattokinase that prevents and reduces the risk of blood clots and provides heart-protection benefits. Some studies suggest that Nattokinase can also reduce heart attack and stroke (source: The 6 Healthiest Staple Foods in Japanese Cuisine by www.SixWise.com).
Please do not eat the sprouts from the yams and potatoes because they are toxic to the body.
How to wash fruits and vegetables
1) Wash and rinse with cold tap water.
3) Blanch them in boiling water for a few seconds and then rinse with cold water.
4) Now they are ready to use.
If you do not have a powerful blender (3 horsepower), you can still use a regular one. To make the process work, you need to do the following:
Step 1) cut the veggies and fruits into small pieces.
Step 2) add a small amount and blend a little at a time.
Step 3) add enough water to help the blending process.