Natto Drink (HealthyPing’s Protein Smoothie)
Ping’s Acupuncture and Herbs Center 08-08-2018
May this formula provide a basis for the development of other more customized healthy recipes.
Basic Ingredients: for 2 people
1. Natto 50 gram (1 package)
2. Yogurt 6 oz as liked
3. Sweet potatoes (Yam ) peeled 6 oz
4. Papaya & Pineapple Enzymes 2 tablets
Add 2 cups of water and blend well, the smoothie is now ready to drink.
Taste: lightly sweetened with banana & coffee flavor which come from blended Natto.
It is necessary to refrigerate the smoothie for the fresh taste. Since the drink can become fermented by Natto and yogurt at the room temperature, it turns sour quickly but drinkable and not harmful.
Drink the smoothie on an empty stomach or 1 hour before a meal. To avoid bloating and to keep a healthy weight, you can dilute it with water and drink as a grazing food throughout the day. Diluting the drink makes digestion easier and blood sugar more stabilized.
Beneficial to the health:
1. Good source of proteins, fibers and calcium.
2. Natto enzymes prevent blood clots and clean the artery walls.
3. Natto & yogurt offer probiotics to enhance the good bacteria in the gastro-intestines.
4. Sweet potatoes are good sources of carbohydrates, fiber, micronutrients, vitamins A, C and riboflavin. They also contain the polyphenol anti-oxidants caffeic acid and di-/tri-caffeoylquinic acids that may have cancer-fighting properties. Researchers showed that sweet potatoes decreased the risk of developing cancer in breast, lungs, liver, kidney and gallbladder. They also help prevent leukemia (Source: www.livestrong.com).
5. Papaya & Pineapple Enzymes help digestion high protein foods, reduce bloating, subside inflammations and stop joint pain.
Natto is a traditional Japanese food made from soybeans fermented with Bacillus subtilis. It is popular especially as a breakfast food. As a rich source of protein and probiotics, Natto and the soybean paste Miso formed a vital source of nutrition in feudal Japan (source: Wikipedia). Natto is an excellent source of protein, vitamin B2, and vitamin K2. Vitamin K2 is useful for preventing osteoporosis. It contains compounds including phytoestrogen, selenium and others that may help prevent cancer. It also contains a powerful beneficial enzyme called Nattokinase, which has been found to help prevent and reduce the risk of blood clots, as well as provide heart-protection benefits. Some studies suggest that Nattokinase can also reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke (source: The 6 Healthiest Staple Foods in Japanese Cuisine by www.SixWise.com).
Do not eat the sprouts from the yams and potatoes because they are toxic to the body.
How to wash fruits and vegetables
1) Wash and rinse with cold tap water.
3) Blanch them in boiling water for a few seconds and then rinse with cold water.
4) Now they are ready to use.
If you do not have a powerful blender (3 horse power), you can still use a regular one. To make the process work, you need to do the following:
Step 1) cut the veggies and fruits into small pieces.
Step 2) add a small amount and blend a little at a time.
Step 3) add enough water to help the blending process.
For more information please call Dr. Lu at 661 513 9265 Ping’s Acupuncture / Bamboo Acupuncture.