Green Drink (HealthyPing’s Detoxify Smoothie)
Updated: Aug 10, 2019
Ping’s Acupuncture and Herbs Center 11-11-2014
May this formula provide a basis for the development of other more customized healthy recipes.
Basic Ingredients: enough for 2 people
1) Asparagus 6 large or 8-10 small pieces
2) Broccoli 5 flowers
3) Celery 1~2 long pieces
4) Kale 2-3 leaves
5) Green leafy vegetables, your choice (darker the better)
6) Potato peeled 1 small
7) ½-1 Lemon with seeds and skin
8) 1 Pear or 1 Apple with seeds
9) Papaya & Pineapple enzymes 1 or 2 tablets
10) Ginger with the skin, the size of a quarter and the width of three quarters
Add 2-3 cups of water and blend well, it is now a veggie smoothie.
Taste: slightly sweet & sour. Green color fades within 1-2 hours, but still perfectly fine to drink.
Drink on an empty stomach. Drink 10 oz in the morning, divide the remaining and then drink 1 hour before each meal throughout the day. It will taste fresher, if refrigerated.
To avoid bloating and keep a healthy weight, this drink can be diluted with water and drink as a grazing food throughout the day. Diluting the drink makes digestion easier and blood sugar more stabilized.
Beneficial for health:
1) Good source of fibers.
2) Detoxify the body, relieve constipation, control weight and boost energy.
3) Antioxidant and anticancer from the asparagus & broccoli.
4) Asparagus also helps to dissolve kidney stones.
5) Celery is good to reduce high blood pressure.
6) Kale is being called “the new beef”, “the queen of greens” and “a nutritional powerhouse.” It is low in calories, high in fiber and has zero fat. High in iron, calcium, Vitamin A, C & K. It also is a great food for anti-inflammatory, cardiovascular support & detoxification (Source: www.mindbodygreen.com).
7) Raw potato juice is considered a good remedy for stomach/ duodenum ulcer, stomach acidity,liver & gallbladder problems. A slice of raw potato can soothe skin inflammation.
8) Pears clean the lung and intestine, moisten the airway, relieves cough, helps with bowel movements and detoxifies the body.
9) Apples are good for general health, cancer prevention, healthy lungs and weight loss. An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
10) Papaya & Pineapple enzymes not only helps with digestion, bloating, belching and gas, but also reduces joint inflammation and relieves arthritis pain.
11) Ginger Root helps relieve allergy, hives, sinusitis, asthma, chronic cough, stomach aches, nausea, joint pain and weight loss. Chinese medicine believes that most vegetables and fruit belong to the cold food group and ginger belongs to warm group. It can re-balance cool and heat in the body. Since ginger blends with the skin on, the root needs to be blanched in boiling water for a few seconds to sterilize it before using.
Drink 8 glasses (64 oz or 2.2 liter) of water daily to eliminate waste from the body.
You will get better results if you have a bowel movement 3 times a day. It will help clean the toxins from your body.
According to Dr. Tom Wu and Dr. Simon Yu's suggestion: It is best to use a powerful “3 horse power” blender (e.g. VitaMix) to leave out and free the natural phytochemicals locked in the fibers of fruits and vegetables. The juicing process won't work for this purpose. It may provide the vitamins, enzymes, and minerals. However, it wastes a majority of phytochemicals in the fibers, which have anti-aging and immune rejuvenating properties. Source: http://www.preventionandhealing.com/articles/raw-food-smoothie-immune-rejuvenation-diet.pdf
How to wash fruits and vegetables
1) Wash and rinse with cold tap water.
3) Blanch vegetables in boiling water for a few seconds and then rinse again with cold water. It is very important step to get rid of more than 40%of oxalic acid from vegetables. If excess oxalic acid is ingested it could form abundant tiny oxalate crystals creating anti-nutrient and health hazard.
4) Now they are ready to use.
If you do not have a powerful blender (3 horse power), you may still use a regular one. To make the process work, you need to do the following:
1) Cut the fruits and vegetables into small pieces.
2) Add a small amount and blend a little at a time.
3) Add enough water to help the blending process.