Cold and Flu
During cold and flu season the following suggestions may help prevent or relieve the symptoms of cold and flu:
1. Eat healthy, get plenty of sleep and do light exercise to keep up the immune resistance.
2. Wash your hands before touching your eyes, nose, and month.
3. Drink plenty of water to flush out germs and toxins.
4. During cold and flu season, don’t eat spicy foods because it will irritate the throat membrane resistance, making it easier for germs to enter the blood stream. Also smoking damages the surface of the air ways.
5. Take vitamin C 500mg and vitamin B2 100 mg daily or instead take a bag of Emergen-C each day. These supplements can boost the immune system to prevent and fight infection.
6. Use Sinus Rinse twice a day. The nasal hygiene with a saline solution washes away germs, allergens and excessive mucus in the nose, sinuses and throat. It reduces the chance of infection from airborne disease and relieves sinus congestion.
Eat Food as a Medicine
1. Veggie tea: 5 slices ( 1/8” thick) of fresh ginger root, 10 pieces of cilantro and 5 green onions use 2 inches of the white part with roots, add 3 cups of water; boil 2 minutes and simmer 5 minutes. Cool down 2 or 3 minutes and add 1 teaspoon of honey and one-quarter fresh lemon, mix well and drink one cup 3 times a day, better to drink warm or hot not cold. The tea helps relieve sneezing, running nose, sore throat, chills, fever, cough and congestion.
2. Smoothie: blend a quarter inch piece of fresh ginger (with the skin), half a lemon with skin and half an apple add 1 cup of water. Blanch the ginger root in boiling water for a few seconds to sterilize it before using. This drink is good for a consistent chronic cough, drink 2 or 3 times a day.
3. Soak 2-3 fresh peppermint leafs to alleviate sore throat, inflamed gums, canker sores and toothache. It also helps stop chronic dry cough.
4. Eat daikon radish to clean the respiratory and digestive track, relieves cough and congestion, increases elimination and detoxifies the body.
Traditional Chinese Medicine
1. Acupuncture, cupping and Chinese herbs can strengthen immunity, ease symptoms and speed up the recovering process.
2. Herbal nasal spray reduces the nasal congestion, cleans local inflammation and infection.
For more information call Dr. Lu at (661) 513-9265 Ping's Acupuncture / Bamboo Acupuncture.