Cold and Flu
Updated: Sep 23
During cold and flu season, the following suggestions may help prevent or relieve the symptoms of cold and flu:
1. Eat healthily, get plenty of sleep and do light exercise to keep up the immune resistance.
2. Wash your hands before touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
3. Drink plenty of water to flush out germs and toxins.
4. During cold and flu season, don't eat spicy foods because it will irritate the throat membrane resistance, making it easier for germs to enter the bloodstream. It is also smoking damages the surface of the airways.
5. Take vitamin C 500mg and vitamin B2 100 mg daily or take a bag of Emergen-C each day. These supplements can boost the immune system to prevent and fight infection.
6. Use Sinus Rinse twice a day. The nasal hygiene with a saline solution washes away germs, allergens, and excessive mucus in the nose, sinuses, and throat. It reduces the chance of infection from airborne disease and relieves sinus congestion.
Eat Food as a Medicine
1. Veggie tea: 5 slices ( 1/8" thick) of fresh ginger root, ten pieces of cilantro, and five green onions. Use 2 inches of the white part with onion roots, add 3 cups of water, boil for 2 minutes and simmer for 5 minutes. Cool down for 2 or 3 minutes and add one teaspoon of honey and one-quarter fresh lemon, mix well and drink one cup 3 times a day; better to drink warm or hot, not cold. The tea helps relieve sneezing, running nose, sore throat, chills, fever, cough, and congestion.
2. Smoothie: blend a quarter-inch piece of fresh ginger (with the skin), half a lemon with skin, and half an apple. Add 1 cup of water. Before blending ginger, blanch it in boiling water to sterilize for a few seconds. This drink is suitable for a consistent chronic cough; drink 2 or 3 times a day.
3. Soak 2-3 fresh peppermint leaves to alleviate sore throat, inflamed gums, canker sores, and toothache. It also helps stop chronic dry cough.
4. Eat daikon radish to clean the respiratory and digestive tract, relieve cough and congestion, increase elimination, and detoxify the body.
Traditional Chinese Medicine
1. Acupuncture, cupping, and Chinese herbs can strengthen immunity, ease symptoms, and speed up the recovering process.
2. Herbal nasal spray reduces nasal congestion, cleans local inflammation and infection.